Have you ever wondered what life would be like if you weren’t here? How would the world be different if you were never born? How would the people you rubbed shoulders with today be different if you weren’t here? These questions we’re … Continue reading
Our quest for a house seems to have ended. Well, I realize I’ve said that before, but this time I actually think this one is going to work out. The house we are buying needs significant updates, but we’re excited about the project. This house has definite potential to be a beauty.
While at RONA today shopping for some new flooring, I decided to take a peak at the cabinets, since I am hoping to update our new kitchen eventually. The first kitchen I saw was absolutely gorgeous. I look at the price tag. This is what it said.
“This dream costs: $20,000″
I wandered around further. I came to a set of cabinets that weren’t nearly as beautiful, but they were definitely an improvement to the old ones.
“This dream costs: $1045.00″
Oh, that was an affordable dream.
How many people settle on a cheaper dream? How many people miss the Lord’s will for their lives by choosing a path that doesn’t cost them as much? They manage to get a look alike, knock off dream that doesn’t last. The rewards don’t pay out. The benefits end. The treasure is not eternal.
A little more patience, a little more discipline would have brought about the higher quality, more satisfying, reached dream.
I don’t want to look back and see a trail of shattered hopes, forgotten dreams and diluted passion. I want for my family and I to say, as Joshua did, “as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” And whatever requests from the Lord come along with serving him, that we would have worked hard to see his will done on earth.
I love this quote from author, speaker and blogger Jon Acuff. My husband and I have referred to this quote often during this latest life transition.
You will work harder at something you love than something you like.
You will work harder than you have ever worked when you start chasing a dream.
You will hustle and grind and sweat and push and pull.
You will get up earlier and go to bed later. But that’s OK.
Joy is an incredible alarm clock.
Lately I have felt like our dream of a life given fully to the Lord’s call costs a lot. And oh does it ever. No price tag can sum up the worth of a life.
Proverbs 20:23 says
Don’t trap yourself by making a rash promise to God and only later counting the cost.
There is definitely a cost. Once the Lord has spoken something into your heart, you will need to look at the sacrifice involved. Not to let fear enter, but to make sure that you are prepared to follow through.
But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first calculating the cost to see if there is enough money to finish it? (Luke 14:28)
For me tonight I spend one of my first evenings alone since getting married. I can count on one, maybe two hands how many times we’ve had individual plans after 6 p.m. There are going to be a lot more evenings by myself coming up. That is part of the cost of pursuing our dream.
Jesus isn’t asking us to put our marriage or family on the back burner, but part of the cost has been surrendering the arrangement of our lives. If we can’t spend all our evenings together, we have to find alternate times, since our dream and call from the Lord is also a strong marriage and family.
My dream to pursue writing through blogging and book writing has been simply simmering. At first our new schedule depressed me, but I am realizing that through God’s sovereign plan, he is also opening the doors for this dream to be put on full heat, as he gives me writing times in the evening.
May you have the strength and endurance you need to work towards the most extravagant dream God has given to you. Don’t settle on the cheaper, or the more economical. Go after the most beautifully adorned plan that the Lord has drawn up for you. I guarantee, you will have no regrets.
Wow, has another week just flown by? I can’t pretend to have been desperate for Friday, since I didn’t even know what day of the week it was half the time the last seven days! I am excited to be heading into a weekend with my family celebrating my first Mother’s Day!
I am linking up with Lauren at From My Grey Desk Blog. Check out the other posts there!
1. I had coffee with my other sisters this week! If you don’t know the Bachtold girls you can get to know them here, since they were the winners of the celebrating family photo contest. They are such great friends, and I really enjoyed catching up with them, and having a bit of time out by myself!
2. Caleb was up for almost six hours during Sunday night/Monday morning. It was not fun. The good thing was that Andrew stayed home the next day to help me take him to the doctor and get some extra rest. We had very tired eyes that day!
3. On the day my husband stayed home, we killed a bit of time at the library after going to the doctor. I picked up some of my favourite time wasting magazines. This picture was from Tuesday evening when I got into bed at like 7 p.m. and read while Andrew put Caleb to bed. It was good break.
4. I was craving pasta salad this week and I made my first one. Ok, I know that’s lame, but I used to hate pasta salad. It was delicious! I am definitely going to make it again.
5. Apparently I had a good find at Value Village! I saw a skateboard and bought it for my husband (his was stolen a while ago). I paid ten dollars for it and I found it would be worth almost $200.00 brand new. Andrew’s already teaching Caleb!
Enjoy your weekend and Happy Mother’s Day!
After missing three Fridays in a row, I am back to celebrate the weekend! We’ve had quite a full few weeks!
I’m linking up with Lauren @ From My Grey Desk Blog to bring you this H54F!
1. This past weekend we were celebrating my brother in law’s graduation from bible school! He now has his Bachelor in Biblical Studies. We’re very proud of him and enjoyed being there to celebrate!
2. Traveling up to the graduation was fun. Caleb did better than excepted and was super cute in Boston Pizza on the way up!
3. I discovered a new tea! Tetley Vanilla Bean Chai! It’s so delicious. One night I sat in bed and drank my tea, and it was so perfect after an exhausting day!
4. My little button and I went for a long walk yesterday. He fell asleep in the stroller (he was refusing to nap at home). He looked just like a little baby again. Then he woke up right after and got back to being busy. He looked so peaceful.
5. I’m almost done reading through the prayers in The Power of a Praying Wife and The Power of a Praying Parent! I have seen so many of the prayers answered, and I am going to continue using them as a guide for praying over my family. I feel like these books have really given me a framework to pray into things that I would have missed otherwise. God is so good!
I hope you enjoy your weekend!
High Five for a long weekend Friday! My husband is home today since Good Friday is his day off over Easter weekend. I’m looking forward to relaxing and getting some spring organizing done!
I’m linking up with Lauren @ From My Grey Desk Blog. Head over there and read some other HF4F posts!
1. I am giving away two $5 Starbucks cards to celebrate my 100th Blog Post! I’m excited about this because I love my readers and treasure the time they spend hearing about my life. Have you entered yet? You can do so here.
2. We woke up to the rain falling this morning. I love a rainy day every now and then. We rarely get rain where we live, it’s sun or snow! It reminds me of when my family lived on the West Coast. There’s something very sentimental about rain, especially when I know my whole family will be together and we can have a fun in-house day! Rain also reminds me of my favourite movie Pride & Prejudice (the one with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle), and I just want to get soaked walking down a street like this, to come home and drink tea by a fire and watch my favourite movie!
3. I went to a baby clothes/items sale this past week and found Caleb a Vancouver Canucks jersey (well there is some debate in our house as to whether it’s a jersey or a sweater)! I was pretty excited about it!
5. The weather has been so nice this week, I’ve gone for a few walks to our nearby grocery store, met up with a friend who has a baby too and went walking. It feels so good to get outside after winter. Caleb is so excited about everything he sees. He just looks around going “Oooooo ohhhh, ahhhhh”
BONUS: #6. I am so happy that Jesus Christ rose from the dead and this weekend we get to celebrate his LIFE! Because of it I have hope, joy, peace, love and eternal life.
Happy Easter! Have a wonderful long weekend!
I’m linking up with Lauren at From My Grey Desk Blog. Check out all the High Five For Friday posts, or link up yourself if you have a blog!
Here is my top five things from the week!
This Wednesday I put out my neck the morning I was to lead worship at an event. My husband got me into a Chiropractor, and I got an adjustment and was able to at least move the lower half of my body again. That night they prayed for me before I led worship, and I felt the healing power of God flow through my body. I had full movement while leading worship. Then yesterday I went back to my Chiropractor and he was astonished at how much better my neck was. He did one more adjustment and told me I didn’t have to come back the next day. I told him it was the combination of a great Chiropractor and the power of prayer! I’m so thankful that I serve a very real and alive God of hope, love and healing!
I am also excited to be selling sponsorship spots on my website (an opportunity to get you business or blog more known). Please email email@example.com for more information and pricing. This will include a button linking to your website and Sponsor Spotlight every couple of months.
Have a fabulous Friday and wonderful weekend with your family and friends! I can’t wait for mine to begin
This is a special Friday! March 23rd, my husband’s birthday! I can’t believe what the last year has held for us. Here is a picture from his birthday last year. I was seven months pregnant with Caleb. Wow, how different things are! I can’t wait to see where we are in another year, and I’m so happy I get to enjoy all the changes with Andrew.
I’m linking up with Lauren at From My Grey Desk Blog.
We have had a crazy week and that is the perfect transition into my number one moment of the week!
1. Someone started our garage on fire on Wednesday morning around 2:00 a.m. and we were miraculously saved, and our house too! You can read about it in my blog post Fire!
2. On Sunday my husband and I went out for supper before our marriage class. We went to Boston Pizza and I ate Thai Chicken Bites for the first time since having my son (I couldn’t handle that much spice while being pregnant). They were so delicious, and it was nice to go out with Andrew.
3. Like I said today is my husband’s birthday. I am surprising with him a day at the mineral pool spa forty-five minutes from here. (We’re leaving right after I post it, and he promised not to read this!). We’ve been wanting to go there for the day for a while, and after this week, I can’t wait!
4. I got some sweet deals at Value Village this week! You can read about them here. I love the thrill of finding great deals! Thrift store shopping is like a treasure hunt!
Have a fabulous Friday and a wonderful weekend! Don’t take a minute with your loved ones for granted, we’re here for a purpose and each time I receive some new perspective, I am so challenged to love deeper.
Another week has finished, so another High Five For Friday is upon us! I’m linking up with Lauren at From My Grey Desk Blog.
1. It’s spring! It’s beautiful and warm. The sun is shining as little birdies are chirping. I love it. We went for a walk around the lake in our city and Caleb took his first ride in a swing. He laughed at it. It was so cute. I will post the video on My Red & Purple Life Facebook page. I am also looking for ways to make my house feel like it’s spring and truly welcome in the warmer days. Send your suggestions my way! Here is the park day as told by my husband’s Instagram.
3. I have been loving this FC5 Arbonne cooling foot cream. I received it as a gift at Caleb’s shower, and then didn’t think of it again. Then I was cleaning out some of our baskets full of products and make up and I found. Wow, it feels so good on your feet. My feet actually feel energized after using it!
4. We were sitting in the living room and I looked over at Caleb and he was standing up all by himself! It shocked me at first, but then I managed to grab the camera before he tumbled down. He’s quickly gone from standing for a few moments, to starting to walk along furniture. Life has changed, again, in a matter of 48 hours!
5. I made White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies this week. Normally I would consider this a winter cookie, but they seemed to work for spring too! Our student leadership group ate them up quickly! Stay tuned for a recipe on Tuesday!
Have a fabulous Friday and a wonderful weekend!
Happy Friday! I’m linking up with Lauren at From My Grey Desk Blog. Check out all the links to other High Five For Friday posts!
1. I got some delicious Chai Tea for Christmas from my mom. I’ve made it a couple of times this week. If you’ve never tried stove top Chai, you are missing out! Each time I have some it’s a little time out from whatever is going on!
3. I am really enjoying this cookbook! The recipes in here are perfect for Caleb to eat, and for us to have too! If you have a little one transitioning to solids, it’s a great book to check out! I made him some sugar-less carrot muffins this week that he enjoyed, and I felt great about giving him something I made!
4. My husband and I are attending this conference at our church this weekend. I am excited about it, but the other part I’m excited for is that my darling boy is going to be spending the night at his grandparents so we can go to it. I am looking forward to a full nights sleep (and I’m hoping he doesn’t keep Grandma and Grandpa up too much)!
5. I bought these cute little shoes from Sears Outlet for $9.00, regularly $50.00! They are honestly the most comfortable shoes I’ve worn in a long time. They have a cushy lining that is awesome. Errands was a blast this week cruising the cement floors in these!
Have a fabulous Friday and wonderful weekend!
Hello all you Friday lovers…yes the weekend is just about here! When I was thinking about today’s post I almost decided not to do it because I didn’t think I had enough high points to this week. Wow, was I wrong! My husband and I brainstormed last night and I was blown away by how faithful God has been to me yet another week in just blessing us with good times and great things. If you feel like you’ve had a rough week, take a couple of minutes just to think about the positives and thank Jesus for taking care of you.
Enjoy my high five and visit From My Grey Desk Blog to read more fabulous high five for Friday posts!
1. This week we went to the library twice. The first time it was the three of us, and it was so much fun sitting in the tiny chairs for kids reading books, and showing him those cool learning games. He loved it. Then him and I went back and took out some books later. We took out a lot of Sandra Boynton! The Snuggle Puppy has been sung around our house all week!
2. Andrew made me an absolutely delicious sandwich on one particularly overwhelming day! This picture looks a lot like it, but it’s not the exact one. He made chicken caesar sandwiches with salami, tomato, lettuce and onions. It was so good! And it was on whole wheat french bread which is my favourite!
3. I received a phone call completely out of the blue this week that encouraged me so much, and challenged me to be a voice out of the blue for others. You can read about it here.
4. I’ve started trying some fun up-dos! Caleb pulls my hair so much so I’m experimenting with cute and fun ones that aren’t time-consuming. I bought more bobby pins and replaced my mirror that I stepped on and broke. It was hard to see the back of my hair with my blush mirror! Check out one up-do I did here. This is the double bun from the Small Things Blog.
5. God’s word reminding me of Jeremiah 32:17 that NOTHING is too difficult for the Lord.
Have a fabulous Friday and a wonderful weekend!
Hello, Friday! I’m linking up with Lauren at From My Grey Desk Blog. Check out all the other High Five For Friday posts there!
3. I got together with a friend and we made biscotti this week. It was super delicious and fun to make. You can find the recipe we used here.
5. Tonight is Canucks vs. Devils. My husband cheers for the devils, and I LOVE the Canucks. (Ok he loves New Jersey too, I just bug him that he can’t because he never lived there, whereas I did live in Vancouver at one point). I’m excited for this game. I hope Vancouver annihilates New Jersey. Go Canucks!!!!
Have a fabulous Friday and a wonderful weekend!